Saturday, February 25, 2012

To be or not to be Smoke-free....

Week 4. Option 2.

Option 2: Ask an undergraduate student if they would be in favor of a completely smoke-free campus policy (there are no wrong answers, just ask their opinion). Ask them to provide a reason to support their decision. Why do you agree or disagree with them?

When I asked Elena, my friend who just graduated from BGSU with her undergraduate degree, whether or not she would be in favor of a completely smoke-free campus policy, and why, she didn't hesitate much in her response...
                        "I am impartial. While I do not think its wise to smoke, I do not think more rules will help anybody. The government already tells us what to do enough. Inside a building? No. Outside? I don't care." -Elena

I agree with Elena's stance on this issue. I also do not think its wise to smoke... however, I think that completely banning it would just make people want to do it more. Not that I think we should legalize all drugs for the sake of that argument. But I think smoking is something that can only really inflict harm on the person smoking (unless of course they are smoking inside a closed space, which is now banned). But smoking a cigarette is harmless to other people, as apposed to for example, someone drinking and driving who could cause danger for others. This is a free country, so people should have the right to make their own decisions even if its taking a risk for their own health. The only time this rule should NOT apply, I think, is when it threatens another life. So, by all means, if you want to smoke outside, as long as you're not blowing smoke rings in someone else's face, have at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment